Phaytea’s Pulse is participating in the A to Z Challenge for April 2018. The Theme is Building and Sustaining a Meaningful Relationship and ‘How Happiness Affects A Relationship||20 Ways To Pursue Happiness’ is our entry for letter H. This challenge will run for 26 days. Please stop by the blog daily for subsequent posts as we read the letters of the alphabet together. Enjoy
Happiness is a state of mind. It comes from a sense of fulfilment, contentment and zero worries. It is a pleasant feeling and every individual deserves to experience it.
However, like most things in life, it does not last forever except you connsciously put in work. From experience, one can tell that the state of being happy is momentary. This means that one could be happy now and the next minute, you get a reason to become sad.
The way we feel play a major role in human interaction and general daily activities. It has the ability to leave your day sour and it is even worse when a bad mood rubs off on a partner (which is usually the case).
Couples tend to spend a lot of time together, a bond is formed and they both begin to rely on each other for everything emotional and otherwise. So, naturally if the woman is sad, the man gets concerned and tend to be sad as well and vice versa. While this is sweet, it is important to note that happiness should never be outsourced to another individual.
We must all strive to make a happiness a personal responsibility at all times. It might be difficult to stay happy all the time especially when expectations are not met but in all of that, we have the responsibility to choose happiness and allow that happiness rub off on our partner when they are unhappy.
In a happy and healthy relationship, the couple communicates freely, share secrets and daily events, they are emotionally balanced and it is a better atmosphere for kids, friends and family. Nobody wants to be with or wants a woman or man that is always grumpy and complaining as a happy partner gives you peace of mind. You know how a man never wants to come home after work or the woman keeps wanting to spend time outside her home, that is exactly what an unhappy relationship deteriorates to. If you are unhappy in a relationship, it will drain you and you will lose your sense of purpose.
The state of being constantly happy takes continuous effort, it takes even more effort as a couple but it can be achieved when both party know the little things expected of them. I genuinely think it is always the little things that matter, so here are some pointers for a happier relationship:
- Think of happiness as a personal responsibility.
- Strive to be in your best mood, only then can you give happiness.
- Be around people that make you happy. Do things that make you happy.
- Be affectionate and invest in little gestures.
- Do not make anyone responsible for your happiness.
- Have realistic expectations, manage your expectation and do what is expected of you.
- Learn to forgive each other.
- Share your daily schedule, update each other if there are changes.
- Be patient and emotionally intelligent.
- Practice Self-love.
- Apologise and make adjustments accordingly.
- Avoid assumptions and talk about everything.
- Develop your individual goals and dreams.
- Avoid comparing other relationships to yours.
- Find similar interests and do them together.
- Create a balance between your partner, friend and family.
- Be a good listener. Listen to understand before you respond.
- Intimacy, intimate jokes and conversations about the future.
- Invest time and money in your relationship.
- Resolve issues as quick as possible.
A relationship where the couple is happy is like a tree planted by the river side. It will bloom and remain healthy. Once a couple can realise the importance of happiness in a relationship, they can consciously work towards sustaining it.
There will be difficult times but it is easier to handle when the mood is cheerful.
Share your thoughts
How do you stay happy in your relationship?
I will like to read from you